Monday, June 12, 2006

Drink: Spritz

It's been sweltering hot in London for a couple of days now, and yesterday we had a drink at Carluccio's on St Cristopher's Place. I wasn't quite sure what to drink to quench my thirst, but one look on the menu and my mind was made up: Campari soda!

It's very much an acquired taste, I know, but ever since I fell in love with Italy I've started to appreciate the Italian preference for all things bitter. In winter I love to have a few sips of Amaro di Montenegro, and in summer there's Campari. The Campari soda at Carluccio's was perfectly nice, but after the first few sips I somehow seemed to miss something... That's when I remembered the last time I had this red stunner of an aperitif was in Venice, last August, mixed with white wine and soda water. I had liters of the 'Spritz' there, and I still think it's the perfect aperitif for a hot summer day. It works perfectly with some salty crisps or olives, and although it takes a while to get used to it's a great taste sensation!

How to mix a Spritz
1 measure of Campari
1 measure of dry white wine
1 measure of sparkling water or soda
pour over some ice cubes
add an olive or a slice of orange (optional)

No comments: